This morning I attended the opening of the postal votes at County Hall, Beverley. Due to Section 66 of the Representation of the People Act 1983 (as amended) I can only reveal three facts.
- Fact 1 – 1,381 residents are registered postal voters.
- Fact 2 – 821 postal votes have been received to date.
- Fact 3 – 12,741 are the number of residents registered to vote
- Postal voters account for approximately 10% of those registered to vote.
- Generally twice as many postal voters vote as none postal voters.
- This means that postal votes account for 20% of the votes.
- Based on the above information I believe 4,105 votes will be made at this election.
- I believe we need 2,000 votes to win the election.
I was highly impressed by the professionalism of the ERYC staff involved in todays opening of the postal votes.