The current disaster of fewer and fewer folk wanting to work for East Riding of Yorkshire Council (ERYC) should not come as a surprise to those in County Hall. I raised the issue in 2017 and have continued to raise it on many occasions since.
True to type ERYC Senior Officers and Councillors blame everything and everyone apart from themselves.
A competent business considering recruiting staff would do a simple online search of each applicant. For reasons known only to ERYC, they have not realised that potential applicants do just as simple a search on those offering the job.
When “ERYC Bully” is typed into Mr Google the images displayed reveal the truth of the endemic ERYC bullying culture.
I and the North Yorks Enquirer have been exposing the ERYC bullying culture for many years. Sadly ERYC has attempted to shoot the messenger (they failed) and ignore the facts. This is in breach of their Duty of Care to staff. Due to this failure of their Duty of Care, they are now unable to fulfil their Statutory Duty in relation to Children Services as those who will put up with bullying are understandably proving difficult to entice.
Why would anyone work under such conditions at ERYC when those who genuinely address any form of bullying are offering employment to those who seek it?
- 13 January 2017 – I exposed how the then Chief Executive Nigel Pearson was attempting to bully me (I was an ERYC Independent Councillor at the time) to name a whistleblower. I refused. If the Chief Executive believes it acceptable to bully an Independent Councillor what hope does an employee have?
- 21 January 2018 – Yet again I exposed the bullying culture and highlighted the effect it was having, with staff on sick with many leaving if the opportunity presented. In January 2018 there was no Brexit and no pandemic but still, ERYC had 137 vacancies. (I was still an ERYC Independent Councillor at this time). On this occasion it was discussed in County Hall – more will be shared as part of the Lisseter Files – Gradual Reveal.
- 4 December 2020 – ERYC Tories – Bullying, Intimidation And Blackmail? exposed bullying by Tory Councillors against each other. I invited all ERYC Groups to condemn bullying.
- 5 December 2020 – The Liberal Democrats stood against bullying.
- 8 December 2020 – The Yorkshire Party stood against bullying.
Neither the Conservative Group nor the Independent Group (the majority are Tories in a poor disguise) stood against bullying and remained silent. The Conservatives and the Independents account for over 80% of the Council and thus, ultimately, all decisions are down to the “Tories”.
The current failure to recruit has been known for years. The Tories and their allies must now accept they are reaping that which they have sown. I do not hold my breath for any of them admitting they are responsible. The situation is on a downward spiral.
Is there any wonder that over 500 families are in crisis across the East Riding?
You must be logged in to post a comment.