On Friday 17 March 2017, due to the UK arms being sold to Saudi Arabia who was murdering Yemeni women and children, I proposed at the ERYC Pension Committee that funds were not used to invest in arms. Shamefully the committee voted for their Pension Fund to continue to invest in arms.
Please see Arms Investments – Conservative/Labour ERYC PactThe vote was 6 for and 2 against.
- Those Against
Councillor Healy – Liberal Democrat
Councillor Strangeway – Independent
- Those For
Councillor Aird – Conservative
Councillor Billinger – Labour
Councillor Holtby – Conservative
Councillor Meredith – Conservative
Councillor Mole – Conservative
Councillor Wilkinson – Conservative
The following are comments (not word-perfect) that three Tory Councillors made.
- Councillor Meredith – Conservative – “Where does the line stop? A packet of cigs?” – If Councillor Meredith is unable to see the difference between a grown man buying a packet of cigs in Brough or dropping a cluster bomb on Brough killing 85 including children I would suggest that he is not fit to hold office.
- Councillor Mole – Conservative – “The most important thing a country must do is defend their shore.” – This is military dictator rhetoric that has no place outside of North Korea or an African country where its leaders hold similar views while its citizens starve. I believe feeding the nations residents, having shelter, drinking water, education, health care etc is more important.
- Councillor Wilkinson – Conservative – “I would not be happy if my position was made public” – It is certainly made public. Perhaps your unhappiness may go someway to understand the grief that a mother feels when a British cluster bomb has killed her child.
Point Of Order Mr Chairman and Deputy Leader
Almost exactly five years later Councillor Wilkinson is the ERYC Chairman while Councillor Holtby is the Deputy Leader. Yesterday the Chairman made a double standard statement in relation to Ukraine:
“The authority wanted to see an end to the bloodshed and for Russian troops to leave Ukraine. The council would support those affected during a distressing time. East Riding Council is deeply saddened by the act of senseless and unwarranted war being waged by Russia upon Ukraine. We condemn such horrendous acts of war and call for all hostilities and bloodshed to cease immediately and for the withdrawal of all invading forces from Ukraine.”
- Why does the authority want to see the bloodshed continue in Yemen?
- Why does the authority not want to see Saudi Arabia leave Yemen?
- Why is East Riding Council not deeply saddened by the act of senseless and unwarranted war being waged by Saudi Arabia upon Yemen?
- Why does East Riding of Yorkshire Council not condemn such horrendous acts of war and call for all hostilities and bloodshed to cease immediately and for the withdrawal of all invading forces from Yemen?
ERYC MUST Stop Investing In Arms
ERYC MUST treat the children of Yemen and Ukraine equally.
They MUST immediately cease to invest in arms that are sold to countries like Saudi Arabia.
To continue such investment confirms statements in support of Ukraine is clearly rhetoric.
The failure of Councillor Wilkinson and Councillor Holtby to take such action five years ago confirms that they are both hypocrites blown by the wind of public opinion. Their past conduct confirms that neither of them has the integrity to hold the positions they both currently hold.
You must be logged in to post a comment.